Byway 136 – Heritage Highway is committed to promoting Tourism along the southern border of Nebraska.
The 10 counties along 136 and the four corridor counties offer many attractions, festivals and events for families looking to attend activities year round.
Our current big event is the Trail of Treasures (patterned after Junk Jaunt) which is held the first weekend in October. This year of 2016 will be the fifth (5th) year for the event. This is a huge Flea Market, Garage Sale Event drawing people from Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma presently.
We are also working on Trail of Authors and Trail of Photos to help promote Tourism and make the Byway area a tourist destination.
We encourage you to join our organization by offering four different levels called Trailblazers (Reblaze the Trail). Pioneer Trailblazer – $25; Dream Weaver Trailblazer – $50; Pathfinder Trailblazer – $75; and Destination Trailblazer – $100. Increased membership will offer the Byway opportunities to assist member communities with their various projects.
Our official website is heritagehighway136.com where there is an 800 number listed.
If you have any questions or would like to make comments, please email email@example.com or call 402-335-0745 or you can use snail mail at P.O. Box 59, Tecumseh, NE 68450.
SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL!!!
- Joint marketing opportunities with other communities located along the Byway.
- Involvement in designated tourism grants issued by the state only for the Scenic Byways.
- Participate in association’s activities and events featured along the Byway.
- Representation in tourism decisions made at the State Level.
- Joint website featuring community events along the Byway. Special listing on state website for byways.
- Networking with other members & businesses.
- Updates on activities happening along Byway route.
Heritage Highway Scenic Byway Accomplishments
- Expanded Heritage Highway website and Facebook page;
- Produced a tri-fold brochure for distribution to tourism outlets along the byway;
- Manned the Nebraska Tourism Commission’s booth at the Nebraska State Fair promoting Trail of Treasures Flea Market event;
- Organized annual “Heritage Highway Trail of Treasures” event set for the 1st Weekend In October;
- Organized and published self-guided tours of attractions within Byway communities;
- Coordinated the 2nd annual Trail of Authors literary events in Red Cloud, Fairbury and Beatrice – www.NebraskaAuthorsAndArtists.com;
- Awarded tourism marketing grant funding from the Nebraska Tourism Commission for the promotion of the Trail of Treasures and Trail of Authors events;
- Awarded Humanities Nebraska funding for the Nebraska Authors and Artists event, held in conjunction with Trail of Authors.
- Completed three Photo Contests that included pictures taken along the Byway
- The “Trail of Authors” event has featured book signings, art exhibits, writers’ workshops, speakers, and more
- Red Carpet Training was offered to all Byway Counties when the Byway partnered with the University of Nebraska Rural Initiative a few years ago
- They byway region has been promoted through cooperative advertising in state and national magazines
- The byway has hosted a travel writer whose artivle was featured in a AAA publication
- Facebook instruction was given through a workshop relating how to promote events along the Byway Corridor
2016 Members of the Heritage Highway Association
City of Deshler
305 East Bryson Avenue, Deshler, NE 68340
Johnson County was the Crossroad of Seven Historic Trails during the early years. Tecumseh is the home of the First Rural Mail Delivery in Nebraska.
Pawnee County is home to Amish settlements, stores and carpentry shops.
You’ll also find a variety of museums throughout the county, and Schilling Bridge Winery and Microbrewery.
311 Main Street, Alma, NE 68920
Pawnee County Promotional Network is promoting the Eclipse which is August 21st. Go to Pawneecountynebraska.com and hit the eclipse button for information on viewing, parking, places to stay, cafes, and other activities.
Beautifully restored 1886 Victorian. 3 bedrooms w/ private baths. Named one of Nebraska’s “Perfect for a Getaway” B&B’s. Wonderful accommodation for visiting Historic Red Cloud and the Willa Cather sites.
Webster County Historical Museum
721 w. 4th Avenue, PO Box 464, Red Cloud, NE 68970
OPEN: April 1-October 30, 1:00-5:00 p.m. every day, except Mondays and Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and 4th of July.
Housed in a beautiful mansion and two other buildings, you will find Webster County heritage in displays and exhibits. A Genealogy department is also available.
Our organization is dedicated to the Preservation of the History of Southeast Nebraska. Our Annual Antique Machinery Show is held the Second Sunday in August – 4 ½ miles south of Sterling.
DREAM WEAVER TRAILBLAZERS:
Gandy House Bed & Breakfast
715 5th Street, Humboldt, NE 68376
Whiskey Run Creek Winery
702 Main, Brownville, NE 68321
The Black Crow Restaurant, Bar & Catering
405 Court Street, Beatrice, NE 68310
Beth Kernes Krause
Convent House Bed & Breakfast
Deshler Chamber of Commerce
Gage County Historical Society
Main Street — Beatrice
Midwest Bank — Deshler
Old West Trails Center
River Inn Resort
Willa Cather Foundation
Homestead National Monument
Peru State College
Pine Tree Antiques
J & B Food Wagon Sales
Southeast Nebraska Tourism Council
Town & Country Inn
Red Cloud Heritage Tourism
Mary Lou Dunekacke