Byway 136 – Heritage Highway is committed to promoting Tourism along the southern border of Nebraska.
The 10 counties along 136 and the five corridor counties offer many attractions, festivals and events for families looking to attend activities year round.
Our current big event is the Trail of Treasures (patterned after Junk Jaunt) which is held the first weekend in October. This year of 2017 will be the sixth (6th) year for the event. This is a huge Flea Market, Garage Sale Event drawing people from Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma presently.
We are also working on Trail of Authors and Trail of Photos to help promote Tourism and make the Byway area a tourist destination.
We encourage you to join our organization by offering four different levels called Trailblazers (Reblaze the Trail). Pioneer Trailblazer – $25; Dream Weaver Trailblazer – $50; Pathfinder Trailblazer – $75; and Destination Trailblazer – $100. Increased membership will offer the Byway opportunities to assist member communities with their various projects.
Our official website is heritagehighway136.com where there is an 800 number listed.
If you have any questions or would like to make comments, please email email@example.com or call 402-335-0745 or you can use snail mail at P.O. Box 59, Tecumseh, NE 68450.
SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL!!!
- Joint marketing opportunities with other communities located along the Byway.
- Involvement in designated tourism grants issued by the state only for the Scenic Byways.
- Participate in association’s activities and events featured along the Byway.
- Representation in tourism decisions made at the State Level.
- Joint website featuring community events along the Byway. Special listing on state website for byways.
- Networking with other members & businesses.
- Updates on activities happening along Byway route.
Heritage Highway Scenic Byway Accomplishments
- Expanded Heritage Highway website and Facebook page;
- Produced a tri-fold brochure for distribution to tourism outlets along the byway;
- Manned the Nebraska Tourism Commission’s booth at the Nebraska State Fair promoting Trail of Treasures Flea Market event;
- Organized annual “Heritage Highway Trail of Treasures” event set for the 1st Weekend In October;
- Organized and published self-guided tours of attractions within Byway communities;
- Coordinated the 2nd annual Trail of Authors literary events in Red Cloud, Fairbury and Beatrice – www.NebraskaAuthorsAndArtists.com;
- Awarded tourism marketing grant funding from the Nebraska Tourism Commission for the promotion of the Trail of Treasures and Trail of Authors events;
- Awarded Humanities Nebraska funding for the Nebraska Authors and Artists event, held in conjunction with Trail of Authors.
- Completed three Photo Contests that included pictures taken along the Byway
- The “Trail of Authors” event has featured book signings, art exhibits, writers’ workshops, speakers, and more
- Red Carpet Training was offered to all Byway Counties when the Byway partnered with the University of Nebraska Rural Initiative a few years ago
- They byway region has been promoted through cooperative advertising in state and national magazines
- The byway has hosted a travel writer whose artivle was featured in a AAA publication
- Facebook instruction was given through a workshop relating how to promote events along the Byway Corridor
2017 Byway 136 Trailblazers/Members
$100 – Destination Trailblazers
Beautifully restored 1886 Victorian. 3 bedrooms w/ private baths. Named one of Nebraska’s “Perfect for a Getaway” B&B’s. Wonderful accommodation for visiting Historic Red Cloud and the Willa Cather sites.
Webster County Historical Museum
721 w. 4th Avenue, PO Box 464
Red Cloud, NE 68970
OPEN: April 1-October 30, 1:00-5:00 p.m. every day, except Mondays and Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and 4th of July.
Housed in a beautiful mansion and two other buildings, you will find Webster County heritage in displays and exhibits. A Genealogy department is also available.
Pawnee County Promotional Network
1041 5th Street
Pawnee City, NE 68420
Pawnee County Promotional Network is promoting the Eclipse which is August 21st. Go to Pawneecountynebraska.com and hit the eclipse button for information on viewing, parking, places to stay, cafes, and other activities.
The Merchants of Brownville (MOB) is an agency established to promote and support tourism businesses and organizations in Historic Brownville.
Whether you choose an upland game hunt or go after that trophy buck with a rifle or bow, Hunt Nebraska will provide you with the experience, hospitality and results of a great hunt.
Gandy House Bed & Breakfast
715 5th Street
Humboldt, NE 68376
Duaine and Sandy Stalder invite you one block north of Humboldt’s Historic City Square to their delightful two-story Arts and Crafts house built in the 1890s. Relax with a large sunroom, front porch, or by the native stone wood fireplace. Antique lighting fixtures and dark woodwork featured throughout the house with Wifi
$50 – Dream Weaver Trailblazers
Deer Creek Sodbusters
72973 610 Avenue
Sterling, NE 68448
Whiskey Run Creek Winery
Brownville, NE 68321
Welsh Heritage Centre
307 S. 7th Street
ymore, NE 68446
601 15th Avenue
Franklin, NE 38939
Pawnee City Historical Museum
529 P Street
Pawnee City, NE 68420
Starke Round Barn
Red Cloud, NE 68970
$25 – Pioneer Trailblazers
Midwest Bank – Pierce
Gage County Historical Society
Main Street – Beatrice
Willa Cather Foundation
Homestead National Monument
Peru State College
Old West Trails Center
Beth Kernes Krause
SE Nebraska Tourism Council
Town & Country Inn
Red Cloud Heritage Tourism
Mary Lou Dunekacke